JOIN THE CAMPAIGN
We welcome all organisations wishing to join the World Kindness Community and become official Members to
World Kindness USA.
In fact we welcome everyone regardless of Race, Religion, Gender, Politics, Age, Sexual Preference and or Zip Codes to join the campaign for a kinder world. Membership to World Kindness USA is not based on members receiving or expecting benefits of membership, rather wanting to contribute to provide a value add to the global campaign for a kinder world. Our expectations for any organisation whether it be, Cities, Schools, Not For Profits or Businesses seeking to participate, is that they are willing to commence a journey in the spirit of collaboration and prepared to meet the KPIs, ( Kindness Performance Indicators )
What it means to be a Member of World Kindness USA
The mission of World Kindness USA is to inspire individuals, schools, Not for Profit Community Groups, peak association bodies, businesses and government bodies to see the nation united on a national platform of kindness by collaborating to create a kinder world. As the peak national US Kindness body, we collectively represent the USA at the international table and provide a collaborative value add to the global movement through the independent endeavours of our members.
- Individual Members of influence. (FYI everyone has Influence)
- Corporate Members. Social Enterprise, Sole Traders, Small to Medium Enterprise to Public Listed Companies.
- Community Members. Not For Profit Peak Association Bodies, Clubs, Sporting Institutions.
- Education & Government Members. includes Schools, Universities, Colleges , Cities. Towns Government Departments, Police,Fire Hospitals. Public Service Defence and Security.
Member organisations who have had their applications approved prior to April 2018 are eligible for the following designation.
- Founding Member
- Founding Corporate Member
Acknowledgement and Recognition of Individuals
- Honorary Life Member and WKUSA Ambassador: Approved by the WKUSA National Executive Council for dedication and contributions to the campaign. Presented by the WKUSA Board.
- Courage To Be Kind Award: Deemed to be a selfless courageous act to assist others, despite risk and with a level of personal sacrifice.
Presented by the City’s Mayor and or WKUSA Goodwill Ambassador.
- Cool To Be Kind Award: Aimed to recognise the quite acheivers in their school, living daily in the spirit of kindness, often their acts of goodwill going without notice, whether it is the classroom, playground, sports feild or local community, their actions make a difference. Nominated by the students with the support of the School. Presented by the City’s Mayor and or Goodwill Ambassador
- Local Kindness Hero Award: Aimed at local community members who in their own way live life with a greater purpose by their actions which touch on so many lives. Nominated by the local community and with the support of the City. Presented by the City’s Mayor and or Goodwill Ambassador
The Objectives Of The World Kindness USA Are:
- To provide a national platform for collaboration to support the global campaign for a Kinder World.
- To share ideas and experiences of kindness with and from our members programmes in different cities and in all sectors of the community.
- To positively engage Inspire and Influence those with influence that a kinder world can be realised in our lifetime.
- To ensure Kindness is on the agenda and actively encourage participation from the classroom to the staffroom and from the boardroom to those residing in our corridors of government.
- Ensure the messaging around “Kindness” is never mistaken for weakness.
- Ensure Kindness is on the national agenda and to encourage opportunities to have Conversations In Kindness and embed a culture of kindness in our cities to support them to become officially recognised and internationally endorsed and listed as a “World Kindness City”.
- Support and promote our members activities and kindness campaigns whereever possible.
- To see our Government pass a bill and legislation to support the campaign with the official Signing of a by partisan co-sponsored Declaration of Support for A Kindner World.
- To have World Kindness Day on November 2013 officially recognised on the National Calender.
- To see our government co-sponsor a motion at the full sitting of the United Nations to unanimously have its members resolve to sign a Declaration of Support for a Kinder World.
Members have the responsibility of organising activities related to kindness within your organisation, in support leading up to an including World Kindness Day on the 13th of November each year.
- Members can network and be connected with other WKUSA members and will receive newsletters and regular updates on events.
- Members can attend and contribute to organising national meetings such as the National General Assembly held each year.
- Members can be nominated to the National Executive and Advisory Council or be appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador in their local community.
- Members can participate and contribute to local events and workshops. eg The Gathering Of Kindness, Conversations in Kindness (Convening in a Cafe to City Hall)
- WKUSA can assist your local campaign by contacting your local government on your behalf to advise them what you would like to do and how they can be engaged.
- Members will be listed on official WKUSA website with hyperlink once they undertake to fulfil the KPIs.
- Members will have social media support on the official WKUSA Facebook, Twitter pages and website and all members are encouraged to share the news of others and their endeavours as when it comes to kindness it is not a competition.
- Members will be able to use the WKUSA logo in their signature for stationary, emails and have a hyperlink on their website with the words “Official Member to World Kindness USA “ or “Proudly Supporting World Kindness USA”
- Members can participate in the acknowledgement of others for The Courage To Be Kind Award, the President’s National Kindness Achievement Award and Local Kindness Hero Award.
- Member organisations who meet the KPIs Kindness Perfomance Indicators are eligble to have their logo on interactive World Kindness Cards.
To become a Member organisation, complete and submit the application form below (APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP). This will be vetted and an interview will be aranged. References provided will be checked and recomendations to the board will be made. This can take up to 14 days. Upon confirmatiin applicants will recieve a letter requesting avaiable dates and times they wish to host a “Signing Ceremony” and receive their Cerificate of Membership and announce their organisations appointed Goodwill Ambassadors.
WKUSA will not share your details with any third party. Once your Application has been approved, one of the World Kindness USA team will contact you to discuss the next steps to Membership, and where applicable, send an Invoice for your annual Corporate Membership Fee.
ANNUAL Membership Fees
- Individual Youth Members 16yr to 21yrs $00.00 Non Voting (Nominated through Schools or University)
- Individual Members: $20 Non Voting (Volunteers 21 to – -)
- Community: NFP Community Groups Associations Peak bodies $50 (Once off payment)
- Education and Government Department eg Cities. $00.00 Non Voting
- Honourary Life Member $00.00
- Corporate Members. Non Voting
Sole Trader SME Small To Medium size business less than 20 staff $150
Medium Size Multiple site more than 20 staff less than 100 staff $500
Public Listed Company $1500
Founding Corporate Members (by invitation only)
Roles and Positions within WKUSA
Advisory Board Member (by invitation only)
National Executive Member (by invitation only)
State Executive Committee Member Volunteers
National Goodwill Ambassadors for each sector.
Local Goodwill Ambassadors Volunteer
Embedding a Culture of Kindness
Leadership is important to instigate and drive positive change, however rarely does the influence last more than a generation past the tenure of the individual if policy is not embedded through a cultural change in thinking and attitude. Kindness needs to be layered at all levels of an organisation and a community. If you were to do a word search on company job descriptions, handbooks, websites, emails and minutes of meetings how often would the word Kindness appear? Zero? It does not even appear in our national curriculum. The good news is as our membership grows you will find kindness appearing more often, the challenge is to ensure it takes hold and that’s why we insist on the Signing Ceremonies, appointment of Goodwill Ambassadors and Declarations of Support which many schools, businesses and councils are now adopting.
Placing Kindness on The Agenda
To ensure an inclusive culture exists Kindness must first be on the agenda to start a “Conversation In Kindness” A motion can be formally adopted by placing “Kindness” on the agenda at the next meeting through a motion and driven by individuals whether they be appointed or chosen from a hat as Goodwill Ambassadors have an important role to play as our Special Envoys (Messengers). We encourage the appointment of Goodwill Ambassadors to lead initiatives and meet periodically to share ideas. Partnerships are a key element to our campaign and we have all sectors involved from education, business, education, government, sport, community and art.
How to Identify a Goodwill Ambassador
A Goodwill Ambassador is someone who makes a difference to others with a simple smile or hello. They offer a helping hand when your hands are full, or an invitation to join in rather than leave someone standing alone. They can be any one, however they stand out, they have the presence of somebody who is willing and capable of making a difference because they choose to do something rather than nothing.
APPOINTMENT OF GOODWILL AMBASSADORS
Goodwill Ambassador Are:
□ Friendly □ Understanding □ Positive □ Kind □ Inspirational
□ Grateful □ Compassionate □ Resilient □ Passionate □ Patient □ Empathetic
□ Respectful □ Determined □ Forgiving □ Humble □ Honest □ Courageous
If kindness begins at home where does in start in a City or an organisation? Appointment of Goodwill
Ambassadors in the workplace are encouraged within council and amongst the various departments within
Council/ Boardroom (1) Executive Management (2) Line staff Customer Services (3) Sales & Marketing/ Community Engagement /Hr & Admin etc. Providing an Ambassadors section on the organisations kindness landing page should include photo and 150 words providing a brief statement or video as to why they were nominated and accepted the role. Option to nominate City Goodwill Ambassador for the Year, based on applications in second year of campaign.
CITY COUNCIL GOODWILL AMBASSADORS
A Goodwill Ambassador for the Council undertakes to support the City’s ongoing kindness campaign which the council has unanimously resolved at a full council meeting and followed through with a public Signing Ceremony. Whilst it is about the promotion of events leading up to World Kindness Week in November, it’s also about engaging the whole village to create a better environment within the greater community by promoting the good work that is being done by individuals and or groups within all sectors of the community.
IT’S ABOUT WALKING THE TALK
- Ambassadors will be asked to sign, with other members of the council a Declaration of Support for World Kindness USA’s endeavours in creating a kinder society for our children to inherit.
- Ambassadors will be asked to work within their own networks/departments either (directly or through social media) to raise awareness on events leading up to World Kindness Week updating council on the progress of the campaign both locally and internationally.
- Working within the community on a volunteer basis, Ambassadors will be directly involved in bringing about positive change by raising awareness to the important role kindness plays in our society.
- Ambassadors will be actively involved in the celebration of The World Kindness Week / Day attending events such as:
The Big Hug, The Cool To Be Kind & Courage To Be Kind Awards – Global Kindness Flash Mob / Dance for Kindness, World Kindness Day Event
e.g. “Conversations In Kindness” Panel Registering World Kindness Cards and entering witnessed accounts of Acts of Kindness to pass on to deserving individuals.
- Ambassadors may from time to time, be invited to address staff, public meetings panels, schools, sports clubs and or organisations encouraging them to celebrate World kindness Week. Suggested topics include “Does Seeking The Kinder Option Mean Taking The Path of Most Resistance? What is meant by having “The Courage to Be Kind? “Does Kindness Applies to Everything?” “Is Kindness Gender Specific?” “Why is Kindness often Mistaken for Weakness?”
- Ambassadors may be asked from time to time to acknowledge and present individuals, students and or organisations with “ Awards”
- Ambassadors will be asked to identify goodwill initiatives within the community in the lead up to World Kindness Week / Day and through City Council will raise awareness to the good work that’s being done by individuals and organisations.
- Ambassadors will be invited to meet periodically (once every 2 months) attend network evenings to share ideas and communicate their progress as major events unfold leading up to World kindness Week /Day.
- Ambassadors may from time to time be requested for media engagements, interviews, join panels, forums to address current events in which Kindness could be a factor. They will encourage the community to participate in a Kindness Index.
- Ambassadors will highlight the importance of engaging the whole village in raising the child seeking opportunities to promote the campaign and engage participation from all sectors and peak association bodies, including but not limited to the Police and Emergency Services Hospitals, as well as schools and the business community.